(click image to enlarge)
The Stanley family owned the manor of Over Alderley, Cheshire, from the sixteenth to the early twentieth centuries, and replaced the main house in 1818. However, in 1931, during the occupation of Edward Stanley, 6th Baron Stanley of Alderley, the house was damaged by fire, and had to be vacated and partly demolished. It remained empty, while the estate was sold piece by piece, and was eventually sold to Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) in 1950. It was then developed into a major new Research & Development facility, and remained as such until 2014, when it was purchased by Manchester Science Parks.
The view is from the top of St Mary's church tower, Nether Alderley looking towards Alderley Park and the research laboratories that were built for ICI (later AstraZeneca) in 1957. S R Badmin produced a number of advertisements for ICI between the 1950s and the 1980s.