(click image to enlarge)
Morocco’s easternmost town, Oujda was founded in 994 by Ziri ibn Atiyya, Berber chief of the Zenata Maghrawa tribe. Through subsequent centuries, it held a strategic position for the various political forces that controlled it, notably the Almoravids (in the eleventh century), the Almohads (twelfth century) and the Marinids (thirteenth century). The Marinid sultan, Abu Yussuf Yaqub rebuilt it in 1297, constructing a kasbah, a mosque and a palace – and new walls. However, it continued to be contested, and the powers that occupied it ranged from the Kingdom of Tlemcen (fourteenth century) to France (1844, 1859).