(click image to enlarge)
From 1911 until his death in 1965, Cecil Arthur Hunt lived at Mallord House, on the corner of Mallord Street and Old Church Street, Chelsea, London. It was designed for him by the architect, Ralph Knott, who was later responsible for County Hall. Remaining there throughout the war, he drew bomb damaged buildings in his neighbourhood. Always attracted to the drama and pathos of a subject, he added bomb ruins to the list of distinctive manmade structures that he recorded – including slag heaps and quarries, bridges and castles – which paralleled his beloved mountains.