(click image to enlarge)
Freemasons' Hall was built as a peace memorial to honour the thousands of Freemasons who died during the First World War. It was sited the at the corner of Great Queen Street, a Masonic meeting place since 1775, and constructed between 1927-33 to the design of architects H V Ashley and Winton Newman. In 1939, at the outbreak of the Second World War, its name was changed from the Masonic Peace Memorial to Freemasons' Hall. It is the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England and the Supreme Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of England.