(click image to enlarge)
Samuel Read visited Cawdor Castle in order to illustrate an article that appeared in The Illustrated London News on 22 February 1868. The article begins as follows:
This old Scottish baronial residence, the family seat of the Earls of Cawdor, is pleasantly situated amidst woods and water, at the base of a far-stretching range of hills, in the county of Nairn ... It is a bold castellated mansion of the fifteenth century, to which additions have been made from time to time. We still enter by the ancient drawbridge, within which is an open paved court, roomy enough to accommodate a strong body of defenders; and if they were driven to retreat, there are loopholes in the massive tower behind from which to harass the enemy and protect the entrance.