(click image to enlarge)
‘This spring, which is at the extreme southern end of the village, is in an arched recess of modern Turkish construction. The hour is about seven in the morning, when water is drawn by the villagers for the day’s consumption. The brilliancy and variety of costume are peculiar to the women of Nazareth. Across the road to the left is a hut covered with boughs, the leaves of which have turned brown. Such huts are common in this district, to afford shelter to the watchmen who guard the crops.’
(John Kelman (described by), The Holy Land, London: A & C Black, 1912, facing page 73)
Taken from a sketchbook inscribed 'no 9'