(click image to enlarge)
Built on the site of a toll house, the Hyde Park Corner Screen was conceived as part of a grand approach to Buckingham Palace and also as an entry into Hyde Park. It was designed by Decimus Burton and completed in 1828. The central frieze was executed by John Henning and his father John Henning Snr. They had worked with Burton previously, sculpting the elaborate frieze at the Atheneum club. Henning Snr had made casts of the Elgin marbles when they first arrived in Britain and it has been suggested that the frieze on the Decimus Burton arch is influenced by this.