(click image to enlarge)
In 1808 the Russell Institution was founded by private subscription with the aim to create an organisation and building consisting of a library, reading room and a lecture hall dedicated to literature and science. Based on the Royal Institution it was intended to create an assembly hall, north of the new housing built around Bloomsbury Square. It was closed in 1891 and later demolished. It is now the site of the Witley Court flats built in 1932.