(click image to enlarge)
Sketchbook No 14, 1980-82, Pages 25 & 26
The Hanbury Botanical Gardens were established by Sir Thomas Hanbury from 1867 when he purchased the Palazzo Orengo estate at Ventimiglia, on the Italian Riviera. Sited on a steep peninsular jutting into the Mediterranean, the garden expanded to 18 hectares and in 1912 the catalogue of the garden recorded 5800 species. It was severely damaged in World War II and in 1960 Lady Hanbury sold the estate to the State of Italy, they are now run and maintained by the University of Genoa. Major collections include agave and aloes. The gardens are only six miles to the east of Menton where Coker stayed regularly.